Home Coronavirus NEW RULE: You Need To Change Your Address In PAN Card Otherwise…

NEW RULE: You Need To Change Your Address In PAN Card Otherwise…


Has your address mentioned in the PAN database changed? It is important to get the address in PAN database updated. If this is not done, the Income Tax Assessing Officer would be right in sending notice under Section 143 (2) of the Income Tax Act 1961 on the old address and you cannot escape by claiming you didn’t receive the notice on your new address, according to a latest Supreme Court judgement. There is no need to panic for those who don’t have any discrepancies in their ITR. Notice under Section 143 (2) is sent to the assessee when the Income Tax department finds any minor or major discrepancies in the ITR. These discrepancies may include under-reporting or over-reporting of losses.

In PCIT vs. IVen Interactive Limited, the Supreme Court’s judgement dated 18-10-2019, says, “…mere mentioning of the new address in the return of income without specifically intimating the Assessing Officer with respect to change of address and without getting the PAN database changed, is not enough and sufficient.”

The top court said, “It is required to be noted that notices under Section143(2) of the 1961 Act are issued on selection of case generated under automated system of the Department which picks up the address of the assessee from the database of the PAN. Therefore, the change of address in the database of PAN is must…”

“…in case of change in the name of the company and/or any change in the registered office or the corporate office and the same has to be intimated to the Registrar of Companies in the prescribed format,” it added.

The assessee, IVen Interactive Limited, had filed return of income for the Assessment Year 2006-07 on 28.11.2006 declaring total income of Rs 3,38,71,716 under E-Module Scheme and thereafter filed a hard copy of the same on 05.12.2006. The assessee had also submitted the balance sheet and profit and loss account along with the return, which was processed under Section 143(1) of the Income Tax Act, 1961.

How to update PAN address

Currently, PAN data can be updated online by going to the ‘Update PAN/Aadhaar Details’ section of the Income Tax e-filing website, or by directly going to this link: https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here